A Short History of Superior Public Library in Superior, AZ
Superior Public Library has come a long way since it first opened in October of 1952. The library was housed in a tiny building belonging to Pinal County, in an alley behind the jail.
The first small collection of books was donated by the citizens of the community through book drives held by various organizations and the first book purchases were made possible by a fund left by a defunct Women’s Club and a three day celebration held at the time of the Queen Creek Tunnel dedication on Highway 60-70 in 1953.
In 1957 the library moved to new and larger quarters made possible by a campaign to raise $10,000. The campaign met with enthusiasm and wholehearted support from the community, raising an amount of $18,000.
Many, many people and organizations worked long and hard so that Superior would have a library. As a result of this campaign, the library board was given the TRUSTEES AWARD by the Arizona Library Association in 1960.
When Superior incorporated in 1976 the Town took over the library and in September of 1984 construction began on expanding the building, which was made possible through LSCA funds. The project was completed in December.